Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rib Rub

For those of you who don't know my family very well, I have one picky eater.  I figure that's pretty good out of four.  And he's really not even THAT picky, compared to other kids.  He eats split pea soup, sloppy Joes, and tacos.  He loves pulled pork, too....but not if it has sauce.  I was stumped for awhile as to what to do with that, but I have been won over to the dry rub side of life.  It's nowhere near as messy and you really get to taste the pork.

Oh....did I not mention we're talking pork??  Sorry, Texans.

I often use "country style" pork ribs when they're on sale, but pork butt can also be used.  If it's ribs, then rub each individual rib.  If it's pork butt, then you have to cut them into steak-sized pieces, otherwise the cooking time is changed, and so is the flavor (not as good).

And the rub is from.....you guessed it....Cooks Illustrated.  I can't tell you enough how much I love their recipes.  I almost always tweak them just a TINY bit, but I can safely make any of their recipes for the first time and KNOW it's going to turn out right. Each batch is enough for about 7 pounds of pork.

Here's my ever so simple method:

Rub ribs (with rib rub - and the longer you can let them sit, the better - 8-12 hours ahead is great)
Wrap ribs (in foil)
Roast ribs (300F for at least 3 hours)

And the spice rub.  Make lots, because it'll go fast.  All these spices should be ground, obviously.

4 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp cumin
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp table salt
1 Tbsp white pepper
1 Tbsp oregano (well, THIS one shouldn't be ground!)
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne (obviously this one can be scaled up or down to your taste)

After the meat cooks and cools a little, I pull it apart with forks or fingers.  You might like to grill it afterwards.  I serve it with homemade rolls, coleslaw, and cowboy beans.  Those are other recipes I'll put up later!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry everyone - I had inadvertently left out the salt. My recipe had ripped...

    ReplyDelete