Friday, November 5, 2010

Thanksgiving!

Here we go - the beginning of the holiday season.  It is SO easy to get overwhelmed.  Stop now.  Take a breath.  These holidays are to be enjoyed.  Thanksgiving is a day to give thanks to God for His many blessings.  You have a ton - even if you don't think you have any, you do.

Now....try to make your day easy.  One way I make it easy is using Stove Top stuffing.  Yes, I know, I know.  Don't judge me.  LOL.  It takes five minutes and VOILA.  :-)  Here's the rest of my menu.

Turkey (duh)
Mashed potatoes (I do mine in a pressure cooker - it's quicker)
Gravy (I can make part of it ahead of time and add it to the pan drippings from the turkey)
Stuffing (Stove Top - lots!  It takes five minutes!)
Peas (required - Tim's request)
Green bean casserole (trying a new recipe this year - crockpot)
Rolls (making ahead of time)

My mom is bringing turnip (I LOVE turnip)

Dessert (always the biggest part of the meal!!)
Pumpkin pie (made ahead because Tim doesn't like it warm)
Pecan pie (made ahead because I can)
Pudding pie (one of the kids can make ahead of time)
Apple pie (that's a new request from Peter - he's making that!)

Cranberry sauce (from a can - DUH!)

Apple cider
Water
Milk
Coffee & tea

Wow - putting it all down shows me that I really don't have that much to do the day of....cool!!!  Just watch the parade and then the football games!!

What do you have for Thanksgiving?  What food makes it "officially" Thanksgiving for you??

2 comments:

  1. Ok - I'll give you the stuffing since you also prefer canned cranberry sauce. LOL

    I share the responsibilities with my MIL. She roasts the turkey breasts(we do 2 because everyone prefers white meat) and warms the honey baked ham. She makes the gravy, opens some whole black olives, opens the cranberry sauce and makes pink stuff. I think I'm missing something.

    I make the dressing from scratch, sweet potato casserole and my girls say that cocktail wieners and breakfast casserole are a tradition for breakfast.

    Sarah has started making pies. She always makes sweet potato, pecan and last year a beautiful and delicious apple pie. I think with her work schedule this year she is cutting the apple pie out of the mix.

    I love cooking with my girls and enjoying the family. The girls and I get up and watch the parade while finishing the cooking and then we head to my in-laws for the dinner and to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Potato Casserole. It is wrong to call it a vegetable after what I do to it. In the end it is essentially pie. And it is fabulous!

    This was our first year of celebrating Thanksgiving without friends or family. We still made the whole shabang and enjoyed the flavors and the company. But, I think Thanksgiving is best when it is shared with others.

    ReplyDelete