Friday, January 8, 2016

Beautiful Burger Buns....

These are the best rolls we've ever made.  I "discovered" these on the King Arthur Flour website a few years ago.  I made the mistake of making them once and I have sunk myself because of it!  We simply do not buy rolls from the store anymore.  I have a mutiny on my hands if I even try.  We use them for buns for hamburgers, sloppy Joes, breaded chicken cutlets, and they are fantastic when toasted and spread with butter and jam for breakfast.  They are so good and so famous on our street, that one young man, when asked to stay for dinner, asked, "is your mom making those rolls?"  Kids come in and grab them and run out to play.

I make a double batch every time, because otherwise they barely last until dinner.  I have two breadmakers, so it's pretty easy, but it's a pretty easy recipe anyway.

I intend to use the dough to make pepperoni rolls (a West Virginia favorite!) for our youth group tonight.  You just make a batch and see if you aren't convinced to avoid store-bought rolls forever!

BEAUTIFUL BURGER BUNS
makes 8-12, depending on size.  I make 10 per batch because I still have some young kids.

3/4-1 cup lukewarm water (watch your dough!)
2 Tbsp butter
1 large egg
1/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp instant  yeast

Mix and knead all the ingredients to make a soft, smooth dough.  Cover and let rise in warm spot until nearly double, about 1-2 hours.  When I make it in the breadmaker, I set it on dough, which is about 1 hour, 50 minutes.

Heat oven to 375F.  Gently deflate dough and divide into pieces.  Form into balls, and slightly smush.  I do not usually use flour when doing this.  I dip my hands into water.  It seems to make the buns a better shape.  They're delicious either way, but for burgers, it works better if they stay a little flatter.  You'll get the hang of it as you make these again and again.  And you will!

Set buns on a greased sheet, cover with a clean, lint-free towel, and let rise for about an hour, until visibly puffy.  I usually smush them a little more right before I put them in the oven.

Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.  LET COOL on a wire rack before you cut them.  That's an important piece of the bread baking process, you know.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment