Saturday, October 16, 2010

'Tis the Season...


....no, not for Christmas...for chili!  The weather has gotten cooler (here anyway!), football season has started (go Pats!), and it's time to pull out the more substantial meals that I use for fall and winter.


I make two kinds of chili - red and white.  The red is fine, nothing special, and I find that pretty much everyone has their favorite recipe (with or without beans).  My white chicken chili is delicious, though, and it's good for you.  There's no sour cream and you won't even miss it!  

You'll see that many of the measurements for each ingredients are a range....I like lots of garlic and lots of beans, so I use the higher amount of garlic and beans and the lower amount of broth.  Change this recipe up according to your tastes.

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 onion, diced
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 - 1 tsp cumin
3 cans northern beans
3-5 cups chicken broth
1 small can chopped green chiles
cayenne pepper to taste

Saute onions in a bit of oil; add chicken and cook until no longer pink.  Puree 1 can of northern beans and 1 cup of chicken broth (in a blender or food processor) and set aside for a minute.  Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add the rest of the ingredients, bring up to a simmer and enjoy!  I usually put mine in a crock pot (I recommend the liners - makes clean-up SO easy!).  Serve with a salad and cornbread or cornbread crackers if you need something with it.

4 comments:

  1. As a matter of fact, it has gotten chilly where we are:) Eric has been wanting me to make cassoulette, but we are in TLF - limited everything. Think I will give your white chili a whirl. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I definitely want to try this! :) Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you both enjoy it!!

    Vic, I hope you got some sweaters!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have it on the stove right now. Smells good. I love one pot dinners! Got any other good TLF recipes?

    ReplyDelete