Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pizza crust

My family loves pizza.  We have it every Friday and WOE to me if I even suggest that we eat something different (because it's say, 100 degrees in my kitchen).  I have a standard pizza crust recipe, but what I really wanted to share is this technique.  Again, nothing I invented, but I love it!

While reading through a Rachael Ray magazine, I ran across an article on cooking pizza crust in a skillet.  I would have normally skipped right over it, because there are six of us in the family, and my 12" skillet just won't cut it.  HOWEVER, my parents had recently given us a HUGE skillet, approximately 16" wide.  You know that movie Tangled, where Rapunzel keeps hitting people with a frying pan?  My frying pan would kill you...if I could lift it, that is.

ANYHOW.  This method is just to pre-cook the crust.  Our family doesn't particularly care for crusts that are "decorated" and tossed into the oven raw.  

I get my pizza crust all ready to go, stretch it out to about the right size, and heat up my pan - "screamin' hot" as Rachael would say.  Put in the dough, cook until golden brown, then flip.  You can either use tongs or flip it in the air.  That's fun, but you do run the risk of dropping it on the ground...just brush it off and continue cooking!  As I continue cooking the crusts, I do turn down the heat a little, so they don't burn. This method has the added benefit of allowing you to have the oven on (I set it at 550F for pizza) for much less time.  I will really appreciate this come summer!

As for the pizza crust - it's so simple.  I put mine in the food processor, but you could do it by hand, bread machine or stand mixer, I'm sure.

4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups water
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 1/4 tsp yeast
Mix flour and salt in bowl of processor.  Mix the water, oil, and yeast, then add to the flour and salt.  Mix until a good texture - smooth and just slightly sticky.  Put in a lightly oiled bowl and let rise until double - about an hour or so.  It makes four crusts.

Decorate your pizza and cook each at 550F for 5-10 minutes, or until it's as brown as you want.  

My favorite toppings?  I do love a veggie pizza, but I also enjoy a BBQ chicken pizza with onions and pickled banana peppers.  What's your favorite? 
Cheeseburger pizza - yes,
that's ketchup and mustard, and yes,
it's delicious!!
BBQ Chicken Pizza





No comments:

Post a Comment