Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Aunt Carol's Irish soda bread

So good toasted with a little butter - 
okay, maybe a LOT of butter!
All right, so it's a little early for St. Patrick's Day, but I have a friend who asked for this recipe.  Friend...ha...I used to babysit for her!!!  Crazy!!!  Anyhow...

My great-grandparents came over from "the old country" back in the early 20th century.  I don't know when; I haven't been able to figure it out on various genealogy sites (after all, it's not like there aren't a ton of Michael McCarthys or Mary Evans!).

I don't remember much about them...I remember their brogue, what they look like, that they had plastic on their couch, and a candy dish on their coffee table.  I don't remember them ever making this bread at all, but since I've had my own family and tried to incorporate our heritage into their lives, I make this bread once a year.  Okay, sometimes more, because it's delicious toasted for breakfast!!!

Enjoy the recipe, even if you aren't Irish!  Also notice that you say a blessing before you bake it...it's from the old country...what do you want?!?!

Irish Soda Bread

Preheat oven to 375F.

4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup raisins
2 cups buttermilk

Grease cookie sheet, but do NOT use an air bake sheet!!  In a large bowl, toss flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.  Stir in raisins.  Add buttermilk and stir with a fork until JUST mixed (holds together).

Put out onto floured surface,  knead 10-15 times and pat into an 8" round on greased cookie sheet.  Cut a cross into the top of bread, say a blessing, and bake 40-45 minutes, or until lovely golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment