Sunday, April 8, 2018

"BBQ" Chicken

I know there's a whole lot of debate as to the "best" BBQ.  What is not up for debate is HOW barbecue should be cooked.  If you are looking for a recipe that is low and slow in a smoker, this is not it.  If, however, you are looking for delicious and easy, I am here to help!

I served this recently for a group of 40 teens and adults and there was about a cup of it leftover (I also served pork and there was none of that left).  It's delicious.  Serve with Beautiful Burger Buns, and if you really want an awesome meal, coleslaw and cowboy beans.  Enjoy!

This recipe is tweaked a bit from Cooks Illustrated - my very favorite cooking website/magazine!  Every recipe is right on.

2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
Barbecue sauce

Mix spices together and toss over chicken.  I just tossed all my chicken in a big bowl, sprinkled, tossed, repeated, until it looked pretty well covered.  Add about 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and toss to coat.  Put into slow cooker and cook until tender, about 4-6 hours on low.  I usually do the first hour on high, then turn it down to low - then I never worry about it not being done on time!

When done cooking, remove everything from the slow cooker, shred the meat, return to cooker, and add a little (about 1 cup) of the liquid (de-fatted, of course!) to the mixture to keep it moist.  Keep on warm while serving, but serve pretty quickly.  Serve barbecue sauce on the side for those who like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment