Sunday, August 23, 2020

Indian food - really?

Okay, okay, I know. There's no one out there less Indian than me. But I can read and I have found some really good recipes. This is butter chicken - from TwoSleevers, only tweaked the tiniest bit. Serve this over basmati rice. Yes, it makes a difference. Yes, I know it's more expensive. Go to the ethnic grocer and get a big bag. You'll be eating it SO often now that you know it's so easy. 

Read the whole recipe before you start cooking, as I have ingredients in two separate sections. 

Enjoy!

BUTTER CHICKEN

1 14-oz can tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
6 cloves garlic
grated ginger - the same amount as the garlic
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp garam masala (I make my own - see below*)
1 tsp ground cumin
2 lbs chicken thighs (if you use bone-in, remove skin before cooking)

Mix everything but the chicken together in the crockpot. Put the chicken thighs in. Cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. I usually (if I'm going to be home) start them on high just to get them going, then turn them down to low. They really do have a better texture if you cook them on low for longer. If you do cook them on high the whole time, you have to test them after 4 hours. They really do get dried out in the crockpot surrounded by all that sauce. I know, weird, but they do.

Remove the chicken from the pot, turn it off, and let it cool for about 30 minutes. Then add

4 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup cream
1 tsp garam masala
chicken (pulled apart or cut - NOT shredded...and don't forget to remove the bones!)

Mix together gently, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve over that basmati rice you cooked. You did cook it, right??

*I make my own garam masala. Pretty sure I got the recipe from Cook's Illustrated.

3 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment