Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Corn Muffins, or, What to Serve with Jambalaya

When I was a kid, we ate Jiffy corn muffins. I loved them. Still do, actually. However, I now prefer to make stuff from scratch when possible. Whenever I make jambalaya, these muffins are ALWAYS requested. I'm pretty sure there would be a riot if I didn't have them. They're pretty simple. I've often thought of mixing up the dry ingredients as my own "mix" and just adding the liquid ingredients later, but I forget. Oh well!

Hope you enjoy these as much as my family does!


Corn Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 oz)
1 cup fine-ground, whole-grain yellow cornmeal (4½ oz)
1½ teaspoons baking powder 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
½ teaspoon table salt 
2 large eggs 
¾ cup granulated sugar (5 1/4 ounces)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
¾ cup sour cream 
½ cup milk 

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.  Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl to combine; set aside. Whisk eggs in a second bowl until well combined and light-colored, about 20 seconds. Whisk sugar into eggs until thick and homogenous, about 30 seconds; add melted butter in 3 additions, whisking after each addition. Add half the sour cream and half the milk and whisk to combine; whisk in remaining sour cream and milk until combined. Add wet ingredients to dry; mix gently with a rubber spatula until batter is just combined and evenly moistened. Do not over-mix. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Do not level or flatten the surface of mounds.  Bake until light golden brown and skewer inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean, about 18 minutes, rotating muffin tin from front to back halfway through baking time. Cool in tin 5 minutes; invert onto a wire rack, stand upright, cool 5 minutes, and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment