Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Leftovers

I don't know about you, but I get a bit frustrated with leftovers.  Either it's a tiny amount that I'm not thrilled with saving, but also don't want to waste, or I made way too much food and the family doesn't want to have to eat it every day for a week.  What to do?

We have leftover night on Wednesdays (or once a week).  It's kind of a buffet and the kids actually like being able to pick and choose.  I also do leftovers after church on Sunday.  Why should it be a day of rest for everyone but me?!?!?!

I freeze meals in portion-sized containers.  My hubby can take those to work, or I can have them on crazy nights when hubby's away and the kids just eat cereal.  :-)

I also have a couple of "refrigerator cleaning" recipes.  One is spaghetti sauce - you can add a ton of stuff to that and no one will be the wiser if you chop it up enough.  :-)  My other favorite is jambalaya.  I always have a snibble of peppers, a half an onion, some extra chicken, some chopped up tomatoes from taco night, etc., etc.

I'd love to hear what you do with YOUR leftovers!!

Now this recipe has chicken and sausage, but you can make it seafood or pork or.....let your imagination run free!!

JAMBALAYA

1/3 cup butter (I know, I know - but it's SO good - you can use oil if you prefer)
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic ( I usually use 5-6)
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and chopped (I usually don't have any - so I leave them out!)
2 chicken breasts, cubed
1 1/2 cups sliced andouille sausages or 1 1/2 cups kielbasa or 1 1/2 cups smoked sausage
1 (28 ounce) cans canned diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup chicken broth ( 1/2 can)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 bay leaves
1 cup brown rice (you can use white rice, but this is a very sneaky way to add extra nutrition - you can't tell because of all the great flavors!)

Melt butter in deep skillet or saucepan.  Saute onion, pepper, celery and garlic and cook over medium-high heat until tender.  Stir in scallions, chicken and sausage.  Saute 5 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients except rice, then reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.  Stir in rice, cover and cook 45-60 minutes or until rice is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment